9.27.2009

FO: 100% scraps throw quilt


The quilts I've sewn over the past few years have had lots of tiny triangles, points and little pieces. I'd finish them and then I'd give the quilts away, then start something else with lots of little points and pieces. This scrappy throw is a huge departure from that. It's scraps cut into big, plain 4-1/2" squares that I collected in a plastic shoe box. Sometimes I'd sew a 4-patch block and toss it into the box too. There was never a plan on exactly when it would get done. My normal project MO is to plot and plan and wrangle a quilt project to death with a feeling of urgency to reach the finished object deadline that loomed over my head from the get go. This throw happened on it's own peaceful time.

This is the most fun I've had sewing in years. I'm not a 'completely random sewer' so I played around with the layout to keep the same fabric pieces from ending up side by side and I spread out the white pieces.
There's an excellent tutorial (and many others) on binding quilts at Amanda Jean's incredible blog Crazy Mom Quilts for the same method I use to bind my quilts. Amanda Jean is always inspiring and TALENTED!

The finished throw is 40 x 60 inches: 150 squares cut to 4-1/2". I squeaked it onto the beige & red backing fabric with only a centimeter to spare on the width and maybe 3 inches on each end for length. I didn't want to piece more fabric into the back since my goal was to be as simple as I could make it. It's quilted in the ditch, not beside the seams a touch like normal in the ditch machine work, but literally in the seam.

We love this throw. It'll be well used, washed and worn. My husband doesn't want me to gift or sell this one. I've never felt as rewarded as I did to hear him say this one's a keeper. He's never said that about any quilt before. It's changed the sort of quilts I'm going to sew in the coming year(s). The reaction to this quilt when people see it tossed over the backyard deck rail or folded in the truck has been surprisingly positive. It's about colour and comfort, not skill or style. I'm going to enjoy the pleasure of simplicity in my quilts more now. More rustic and homey. More 'use-me' than 'be careful' with me quilts. I have 2 new shoe boxes on the go ~ one is a collection of 3" squares and the other is 4-1/2" again. I'll sew plenty more quilts like this one in the future.

20 comments:

t does wool said...

love the 100% scraps...random and beautiful Renee.

Anonymous said...

absolutely gorgeous. someday i will learn to quilt!

Anonymous said...

The quilt is beautiful. Thanks for posting close-up pics of the fabric. Enjoy!!!

theacolman@yahoo.com said...

awesome. Glad you had fun making it too...

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Oh Renee, that is a gorgeous quilt. Your husband is a smart man to tell you to keep it for yourself! I am beyond impressed that you made this from small scrap pieces! Beautiful!

Journeying Five said...

Love the quilt, I could possibly hyper-ventilate over reused/recycled/scrappy quilts...they are so feel good and satisfying!

Yarnhog said...

Before I even read the post, I exclaimed, "Ooooo...I love that!" I have made a few small quilts, and I appreciate the artistry of other people's quilts, but I rarely feel an emotional connection to them. This one really pleases me. I would absolutely toss it on the sofa and curl up with it next to the fire. Well done!

Philigry said...

that is beautiful! all of your seams are perfect! jealous!

Celestial said...

Oh it does look really comfy and cozy. The only thing to make it better would be a log fire and a couch to curl up on.

Heather said...

So beautiful. Wow, great job

Doortje said...

The perfect quilt for winter afternoons on the couch with a cup of hot cocao. Love it!!

heidi said...

thank you for your nice comment on my blog:)

the quilt is really beautiful!!!

ButterPeanut said...

wonderful!

Hadley Makes said...

Oh,your quilt is gorgeous!

beth said...

yes...it's beautiful. It looks like that fabric does all the work and you don't have too. right?

Nicole said...

Oh my, I LOVE your quilt! Beautiful work, you are inspiration and make me really want to start sewing....

the Provident Woman said...

What a great quilt! I love it! So beautiful!

Alison said...

that's just gorgeous!! makes me want to dive into my scrap pile!!

Tina J. said...

I don't have a respectable fabric stash yet... But I'm making plans to go shopping now... Joann's here I come! Emailed your quilt pictures to a couple of friends and we're all three going to make one! Thanks for the inspiration!

Jules said...

What a cute quilt! Bet you felt good using up your scraps, too. I like the binding--you picked the perfect fabric, methinks. Well done.

Popular Posts